Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Nice to know I'm not the only one

Last year I made a Komi hat from Charlene Schurch's Hat's On book. It's a 2 color hat with a few repeating motifs. I started the hat thinking that I'd get in the groove and not have to follow the chart stitch by stitch by stitch... Wrong. I had sticky notes all over the chart to keep my place, I kept using the wrong color and just not being able to read the finished knitting to see what came next. I did not like this. Apparently I wasn't the only one. Grace writes about the same thing - and she's got a great pic of her hat (I've got to get a camera.) I had darker colors than hers, mine was brown with a bright rainbow mix.

About 20 rows from the end, I finally got a clue. The pattern did repeat - sort of - two rows might be 3-1-5-3-3 (each number being the number of stitches in one color, each number is a new color) but the first row starts with the solid color and the other row starts with the variagated. And of course, the 2 rows aren't consecutive. I finished the hat with a 'cheat sheet' that just had rows of numbers 3-1-5-3-3, then 1-5-3-3-3, then 3-1-5-3-3 (I don't have the pattern in front of me, so these numbers probably aren't even close to reality in the pattern.)

I ended up liking knitting the hat. I may do another one this year.

No comments: