Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Spinning

I've been spinning. Some. Ok, plying, but that's part of spinning. I spun 4 oz of merino and it's slowly turning into 2ply laceweight/fingering weight.

I signed up for the 2008 Tour De Fleece again. A few years ago I spun some angora/cormo blend into worsted-weight-ish yarn and knit up some fingerless mitts. They're very nice and warm and all that, but they barely reach from the knuckles to the wrist. They're handwarmers, not wristwarmers.


Last year (?) at MA Sheep & Wool, I think, or maybe this spring at NH Sheep & Wool I bought a few ounces of fiber

that I thought would look good with the mitts. It was tricky trying to match/coordinate the color since I didn't have the mitts with me, but oh well. (and I didn't do a good job at it anyway)

For the Tour De Fleece, I'm going to spin up the fiber so I can some length to the mitts. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to make the added length as a wide cuff to fit over my coat sleeves, or a narrow cuff like most fingerless mitts have. That's something that can wait until a little later. I mean, first I need to spin the yarn before I can knit it! Or crochet. Maybe a nice crocheted border would look good.

(Pictures added July 12)

No comments: