Monday, November 19, 2007

The wheel!

A little late, but here's some pictures of my new wheel. It's a Fricke S160 folding single treadle. (The pictures aren't great, for some reason, my camera only takes pictures if it's connected to a PC in "snap single frame" of video mode. I'll figure it out sooner or later.)

The top half (oops) of the wheel, folded up -


The cut out design of the wheel -


The wheel, unfolded -


Proof that it's been used -


Even thought I've been spindle-spinning for 3 or 4 years, and I'm not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination, I can spin a decently consistent yarn. I just finished spinning a 2 ply laceweight yarn. And on the wheel, I get very inconsistent, underspun, overspun, singles that'll probably ply up to worsted-ish weight. Just like when I was first learning to spin. I'm spinning up some corriedale (maybe) that I've had for a while and have no idea what to do with. I still don't know what I'll do with it once it's spun up, but for now, it's working well as a practice yarn. I figure spindle-spinning took me about 2 months for everything to click, it'll take some time too for the wheel spinning to click. If nothing else, I want to be able to ply my spindle-spun on the wheel.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Yay, you have a Fricke! I'm going to be getting a Fricke soon. Not the single treadle folding one, but the double treadle.

I think the Fricke is just about the best value out there. Reasonably priced and you get 5 ratios and 8 oz. bobbins!