Friday, September 07, 2007

Friday ramblings



Okay, so the other day, a friend was commenting on my monthly reading list and asked when I found the time to read. In the ensuing discussion, she described herself as a “goldilocks” when it comes to reading–she needs to have everything juuuuuust right to be able to focus. This caught my attention because, first, I thought that was a charming way of describing the condition, but, two, while we’ve talked about our reading habits, this is an interesting wrinkle. I’d never really thought about it that way.
So, this is my question to you–are you a Goldilocks kind of reader?
Do you need the light just right, the background noise just so loud but not too loud, the chair just right, the distractions at a minimum? Or can you open a book at any time and dip right in, whether it’s for twenty seconds, while waiting for the kettle to boil, or indefinitely, like while waiting interminably at the hospital–as long as the book is open in front of your nose, you’re happy to read?
The short answer is "if there's enough light to see, I can read" The exceptions are if it's the kind of reading you have to study, I like to at least be at a table or someplace I can notes. Noise or other distraction doesn't usually bother me while I'm reading - unless it's something I don't want to be reading. In that case anything and everything is a distraction.

Progress on the sweater - I finished both sleeves and did a quickie crochet slip stitch seam. The sleeves still seem tight, although I don't know how much they'll stretch when I block them. I'm thinking when I do the body, instead of knitting the body directly onto the sleeve underarm stitches, I'm going to use provisional stitches. That way if I decide to re-do the sleeves (again!) it's not attached to the body at the underarm. It'll probably be easier if I just lose some weight - that's really why the sleeves seem tight, they measure what I planned for.

I haven't decided what else to work on. I have some preemie hats I want to make, probably this weekend. I've got entrelac socks in Regia Linien in mind. I'm even thinking of the Tangled Yoke Cardigan but adjusting the round yoke a bit, I don't like how round yokes look on me.






No comments: