Friday, August 31, 2007

Random stuff

(yes I know it's Friday...)

There was a widely bruited-about statistic reported last week, stating that 1 in 4 Americans did not read a single book last year. Clearly, we don’t fall into that category, but . . . how many of our friends do? Do you have friends/family who read as much as you do? Or are you the only person you know who has a serious reading habit?

I've been reading Booking Through Thursday, for a few weeks and figured I may as well answer a question. I can't remember the last time I had less than 3 books out of the library. Or when's the last time I've walked out of a Barnes & Noble store empty-handed.

On the other hand, I have no idea when's the last time my hubby's read a book. He's started a few that interest him, but I don't know if he finished them.

I went to a book club meeting recently. I think there were more people who said they don't have time to read a book (and the book wasn't that long) than people who came. And only 8 people did come.

~~~~~

I'm re-reading Knitting From The Top for the Barbara Walker KAL on the Craftster Knitting Forums. (I like the 'insert hyperlink' button. So much easier than typing it all out.) The chapter on Kimono shaping always makes think of trying a baby sweater. I have a flannel preemie-size shirt that's kimono shaped, I could use those measurements, that's one less step to work out.

I've has some Regia Linien 5279 for ages that I want to make socks out of. I pull the yarn out of stash, can't decide what pattern to use, toss it back. I was reading this and the entrelac picture reminded me of straight entrelac (am I overdoing the links? I'm having fun with 'insert hyperlink') and I thought of the all-over entrelac socks in the Socks, Socks, Socks book (oh, what the heck, what's one more link?) and I think I found my pattern for the linien. Or a variation thereof - toe-up socks with the straight entrelac on the instep (maybe) and up the leg, the heel & sole will be plain stockinette. Maybe the whole foot will be plain, I don't know yet. I know I need to pull the yarn back out of my stash pile though.

No comments: