Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Sunday Sock Meme


(copied from Claudia's blog )

When did you first learn to knit socks? - About 5 years ago, I think. I was one of those “Hand-knit socks? Why????” knitters. Then I was at Michael's and saw some yarn that was “oooh, that would be PERFECT for socks” I figured out later that Woolease worsted weight isn't the best yarn for socks. Especially at a loose gauge.


What's the first sock you ever knit? The
blueberry waffle socks. I don't remember if this is the link to the version I used, I know there's a few different links to the pattern. They lasted a while, but the WoolEase wore out, and I just knit more socks. Although only 2 pairs using WoolEase.

Favorite Sock Pattern? I don't think I have one. I start at the toe, usually one from Ethnic Socks and Stockings, do stockinette until it's time for the heel, then pick a heel, and a leg pattern.

Favorite needle method? DPN.s. I've tried magic loop and 2-circs. I like the dpns. I don't like circs for something as small as socks.

Favorite sock needles? 6” bamboo dpns, a set of 5 preferably. Although if the socks are tall enough, or heavier than fingering weight yarn, I use 7” dpns. But still bamboo.

Who do you knit socks for? Me, myself and I. But I did do one pair for my hubby in Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. And I've done a few pairs of baby booties as gifts.




How many pairs have you knitted to date? Maybe 18 pairs. I've got about a dozen in the drawer, plus 1 for hubby, plus a few that have been “retired” from use.

What is on your sock knitting to-do list? Finish the Lang Jawoll socks that I don't like knitting, but I don't know why.

What kind of socks to you like to knit-
Striped? I have a lot of the self-striping yarns, and I've done one or two with the 'helix knitting' style stripes. I don't like using a lot of balls at once with sock, too fussy for the small size of the knitting.
Colorwork? Hubby's snowflake socks are the only pair I've with that I'd call colorwork. There's a LOT of socks I'd like to make that are colorwork. I have to work on the technique more, it doesn't look 'right' so I tend to knit & rip a lot more.
Plain Stockinette? Sometimes. I do toe-ups, and usually the foot is all stockinette. I may start a sock thinking it'll be all stockinette, but depending on the yarn, by the time the foot's done that's all the stockinette it needs and I end up trying to find a 'fancier' stitch for the leg.
Cabled? Small cables, sure. I like the lightly cabled socks in the
Fall 2008 Interweave knits It might be the perfect pattern for the beige/tan colorway Schaefer Anne yarn I have.

Lace? Sometimes. I did one pair of lace socks two years ago that I hated working on because I couldn't get the lace pattern memorized, but they look good.
Anklets? Yes, for summer. I don't like going barefoot with sneakers, and I don't like long socks with shorts. So anklets.
Knee Socks? I made one pair for skiing. I'm planning another pair. Simple knitting – round toe, ribbing at the ankle for tube heel, and knit stockinette & ribbing to the knee
Solid colors? Depends on the color, and the pattern
Bright and crazy? Not by itself, but used with something else, probably yes.
Faux Fair Isle (the yarn doing all of the work)? I used to, I think I'm “outgrowing” it. On the other hand, some of the self-striping yarns I like the look better in reverse stockinette – so I do a all-stockinette sock and wear them 'inside out'

No comments: